design folded and unfolded

8:21 PM

i like to share my senior thesis project from senior year of college. as many of you know, i have a love for origami. i get upset when they ask if all i do is fold paper cranes everyday. i mean really??

my major was interior design (with a background in architecture. one day, maybe i'll write a post about my glorious <sarcasm> time in the architecture program. ooh! i'll one day show you my architecture work too in which i am very proud of). for the senior thesis, we were finally able to pick our own topic and the type of design we wanted to do. i automatically wanted to do origami. i figured, it's my last year, i want to do something that i like. of course, i ran into some problems with this topic, but ultimately, it was the best decision i ever made. for the entire two semesters, 20% of my time was researching on origami and 80% on folding and creating models. for once, work was fun and fun was work.

so without further ado, my thesis!





project:
to create a space that can fold itself in closing and opening new spaces depending on the family needs. with each stage of life, there are different programs needed (for example: in one stage of life, you might need a nursery, but in the next stage, you'll need a study room instead). this space is set in tokyo where living spaces are tight, one can't just pack up and leave to a much bigger place just because you have more members in the family.
using origami inform the design for an evolving living environment that adapts to the different stages of life: childhood, adolescence, college, and empty nest.


these are my earlier models folded with drafting paper and transparency paper
i experimented mostly with pleats and the effect of light on the folds

i even experimented folding steel.
this steel was cold-folded (no heat was used to bend the material)
and it was a huge hassle. 
a lot of factors were not in my control, it wasn't as precise as oppose to if i used paper
but! it was still a good experiment





my exhibition piece
it's created from a scored museum board to create the pleated folds
then mounted my rendering drawings
if anyone in syracuse sees it, can you please get it back for me?








You Might Also Like

0 comments